Mrs. Garvey 2nd air
Garvey Family Crest
Continuing the story of the Augustinians from the first air, in 1578 Queen Elizabeth granted a lease of 21 years of the Abbey of Murisk and half a quarter of land belonging to it to James Garvey. He was brother to Dr. John Garvey, Protestant Bishop of Armagh, The Augustinian Friars did not desert Murrisk after the confiscation of their Abbey under Elizabeth. Though often expelled, some of them continued to reside secretly in the neighborhood all through the penal times.
Replay background music: Mrs. Garvey 2nd air.
Courtesy of Vivian and Jack, IrishPage.com.
Filleadh go liosta Cearbhalláin
Back to Carolan's List